To make 12-14 scones, you will need:
1 stick + 2 Tablespoons (5 oz.) of unsalted butter, chilled + diced
1 cup (8 oz.) of heavy cream + 2 tablespoons for glazing
2 large eggs
Preheat oven to 325F.
Remove packet of sparkling sugar from bag. *Save for final step.
- Pour contents of flour bag in a mixing bowl. Cut in 1 stick + 2 tablespoons of chilled, cubed butter with a pastry blender, a fork or with your fingers until it resembles coarse meal.
- Lightly whisk 1 cup of heavy cream and 2 eggs together in a small bowl.
- Use a fork, stir in cream/egg mixture into the flour/butter mixture until a rough dough forms. (add extra cream, a teaspoon at a time, if dough feels dry) Use hands to combine the dough into a soft ball. Dough should be slightly sticky. Do not over mix.
- Divide in half and form into two discs. On a lightly floured surface, roll out to 1 inch thickness.
– With a sharp knife cut each disc into eighths. Place on parchment lined cookie sheets at least 1inch apart.
For rounds – Use a 2½ inch round cutter to cut into rounds, gently gathering scraps and re-rolling to use all the dough. Place on parchment lined cookie sheets at least 1inch apart.
- Let rest in cooler at least 30 minutes or up to overnight. If chilling overnight, cover with plastic wrap.
- Remove plastic wrap if necessary. Lightly brush tops of scones with 2 tablespoons of cream and sprinkle sparkling sugar on top of each scone.
Bake in preheated oven at 325F for 30 min. The tops should be a light golden brown when done.
Enjoy with Rare Bird Preserves and Curds!
Ingredients – unbleached flour (unbleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), sugar, baking powder (cornstarch, bicarbonate of soda, sodium aluminum sulfate, calcium acid phosphate), salt, vanilla powder
Contents - 24oz